Monday, February 8, 2010

Someday, it will be the new Atlantis

When I was a kid, my parents would always take me to this one Italian restaurant (once I outgrow my ‘throwing rice at strangers’ phase of life, that is). It’s called Frank’s Sunny Italy, and it’s located on Delaware Avenue for those of you acquainted with my city. The thing I remember most vividly about it is the placemats. It was a picture of Italy adorned with several of the country’s most famous landmarks. There was the leaning tower of Pisa on the west coast, the colosseum to the south, and the sinking city to the east: Venice.

Even at the age of five, the idea of a city where the roads were rivers thrilled me. And once I was in college, through the works of Venetian proto-feminist writers Veronica Franco and Moderata Fonte, I was even more intrigued by the city and its’ atypical history. Did you know Venice was the last Italian city-state to dissolve? It stayed intact until it surrendered to Napoleon in 1797 after a thousand years of independence. I didn’t until I came here, and I was impressed.

So, because of all the above, I knew even before I came to Italy that going to Venice was thing I refused to miss out on. And as luck would have it, my stay here coincided with one of Venice’s most famous events, the Carnival. From what I can gather, Carnival nowadays seems to me an extended Marti Gras party mixed with a classier version of Halloween, though the festival began at some point in the thirteenth century. Anyway, coming to Venice during the Carnival was definitely an experience. Yes, Venice is beautiful by its’ own right, but Carnival really seemed to coax the spirit of the city free. Which was good because it helped mask (no pun intended) several aspects of the city that I didn’t like so much.

Firstly, that everything in the city is outrageously expensive. We’re talking like, five euro a water bottle expensive. I skipped dinner because I couldn’t bring myself to actually buy it.

And secondly, the main island of Venice (I can’t speak for the others. The water bus was too expensive for me to head to another island) is very touristy. Now, I know Florence is a touristy city as well, but it really was nothing compared to Venice.

But despite the above, I’m really glad I went to Venice still and have no regrets about it! Here are the pictures I know you’ve wanted to see all along :P




My Carnival mask. It’s plain compared to a lot of the other ones, but I really like it for some reason. Probably because it reminds me of Phantom of the Opera. I think I need to have another masquerade party.















Even the dog had a costume!







Ultimate Belle dress. So epic.




This is St Mark’s zodiac clock, which I didn’t know existed until I saw it. Amazing. I’ve noticed the Italians seem to have a preoccupation with the zodiac. I see zodiac signs everywhere, stamped on leather notebooks, pressed into chocolates…

These next few pictures are of St Mark’s Basilica which is probably the most beautiful building I’ve ever seen. It’s constructed out of every colour of marble you can imagine, and every inch of it both inside and out is adorned with gorgeous images made of tiny coloured stones detailed with gold. They didn’t allow us to take pictures of the inside, but I hope the outside of it can give you an idea of what it’s like. What struck me most interestingly about the basilica was how all its colours and over the top beauty seemed to mirror the Carnival itself.












Bridge of Sighs. Being renovated, naturally.




A gondola. They seem much less romantic in real life, I must say. The 80 euro price tag might have a little to do with that!





2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh that looks awesome, especially the basilica but apparently they cant even call it a basilica unless it is ridiculously over the top in the first place so over the top plus italy must equal INSANE
    everything is so pretty, i'm so jealous
    i miss you and want to be with you
    the only thing better than you exploring this place would be all of us exploring it together!! ah dreams
    also i want you to go to Verona, there is supposedly a wall in which people write letters to juliet and put them on the wall. i don't know anything else but it sounds awesome for an english major in italy to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the city that is apparently sinking! it all looks so amazing and beautiful. i don't blame you for skipping dinner either, the prices are ridiculous! and i thought america was bad...ha. glad to hear your trip was a success ;)

    ReplyDelete