Saturday, February 20, 2010

Dead Stuff

There is a perverse truth to living in Florence: the more you explore, the more you realise that for every sight you see, there's at least three more you haven't seen. So me and a few other people decided to grab the bull by the horns and ditch out homework for grander notions. So this past Monday (yes, this post is long overdue, I know) we went to the Santa Croce church, which is a convenient three minute walk from my apartment. Now, Santa Croce's claim is fame is the excessive amount of famous dead people buried there. Among them are Michelangelo, Machiavelli, and Galileo, and other, less important persons.



The church from inside the grounds.


the Medici crest on one of the tombs on the floor. These signs are all over Florence, it's a little ridiculous how many there are.


Rawr, lion! And skull and cross bones.


Michelangelo's tomb. The statue sitting on the left is for painting, the middle for sculpting, and the far right for architecture. His tomb is definitely the most blinged out of all of them.


Galieo's tomb.


Beatrice, Dante's love, who was not actually buried in Santa Croce but since she's dead too I figured I'd add her here. Lovers can leave notes to her in baskets near her tomb.


Machiavelli's tomb, my personal favourite.





I like taking pictures of arches and I don't know why! Everywhere I go, if there is an arch, it invariably ends up in my latest photo album. Maybe I was an arch in a past life, or something.




Old music that the monks used.

So this is all for now. I have more pictures of the inside of the church, but I don't feel like spending an hour uploading them when I know that I have a whole slew of Bologna pictures waiting for their chance to be posted. Oh, weekend adventures are something!

5 comments:

  1. I know how to read that music! lol We learned about it in our Music History class the squares are actually the notation there was no time signature and no key and the big text is the latin they sang. It was actually intersting, it's even cooler to see the actual notation of it cause all we saw were examples in our textbook.

    The tombs are also really cool, even a little creepy :/ lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way, you can read that?! Awesome! I can see how not having a time signature would work, but not having a key? Was everything just in the same key then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I suppose I can thank music history for that one lol You'll see the squares on different ledger lines, and as they move up and down that indicates to sing up a whole step or down. Basically one line up sorta meant you go up a whole step (i.e playing a C to a D on a clarinet). As you can see they had the flat signs to tell them when to go down a half step or up a half step (i.e Eb to D). The director of the monks (there's a fancy name for them I can't remember what though) determines the pitch they start on, and then you just sing up and down as the notes indicate. It's hard, we did it with an example in our class and it's hard to hit the pitch exactly right, they must of had really good ear training back then :p But yeah there was no key, the director decided what note they started on. And since it was basically all acapella, i guess it didn't matter if it was out of tune cause no one would know lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's fascinating! In some ways, it seems simpler than a lot of modern chorale stuff. I should've stole it for you, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...because arches are awesome?

    ReplyDelete